Sunday, March 23, 2014

Less coffee, more tea


I alternate between coffee and tea phases constantly. More recently I have dropped coffee like a hot potato and have been exclusively drinking tea for about 2 weeks. I find I need more tea than coffee to get me through the day, but that doesn't really bother me as I have an extensive (and constantly growing) collection to choose from. I choose my tea flavor by whatever mood I am in which makes drinking a cup of tea an "experience" (or at least I think so).

Dulce de leche & chocolate tea
from El Gato Negro.
How cute is the tin? (I'm a sucker for tins)

One of my favorite things to do back in NJ is go to Teaberry's Tea Room with my mom. We really lucked out having a tea house in our small town, especially since they are not something you find on every corner in the United States. There's just nothing like having a proper cup of tea and some delicious sandwiches and/or scones.  I have been to two tea houses in Buenos Aires: El Gato Negro (cafe/tea house/spice shop) and Las Violetas (cafe/tea house/bakery/restaurant).

El Gato Negro (since 1927) is a cute, old-fashioned place in the center of Buenos Aires. I've only sat down once for tea, and have stopped by a few times to pick up special spices and/or teas (see above photo). They keep all of their spices and teas behind the counter in labeled glass jars, which is what my "cute, old-fashioned" description is based on.

Las Violetas in Almagro is BEAUTIFUL. It was opened in 1884, and I would love to transport myself back in time to see what Buenos Aires was like back then. I've gone a few times, and the food & tea are decent (nothing out of this world), but really you go for the gorgeous atmosphere. Ahh, it's so gorgeous.

Last time we were at the beach, Tomas and I tried to go to a tea house in the magical, mystical part of Miramar (you know, right near the Bosque Energetico), but unfortunately it was closed.

All of this tea talk is really putting me in the mood. Maybe we need to pay a little visit to a tea house in the city before this weekend is over.

Anywho, let's get back on track. Time to share with you my in-home tea collection!

Just picked up the Invierno Tea and the Chocolate Temptation Tea.
The Chocolate Temptation Tea smells amazing, has a cocoa & hazelnut taste (not sweet) with a touch of spice.
I have yet to try the Invierno (winter) Tea but its ingredients include:
licorice, rosehip, cinnamon, chamomile, peppermint, lime, wild morjoram, & thyme.
Sounds delicious, doesn't it?
Oolong Tea is a traditional Chinese tea which is supposed to boost your metabolism.
The taste is nothing to write home about, but it's a nice simple cup of tea.
I was so excited to see these Patagonia "Frio" Teas on the shelf at the health food store the other day.
I've never seen tea sachets specially made for brewing ice tea. The box says that you steep your tea bag in
cold water with ice. How interesting! I just wish I had these when it was summer.
I picked up a Lemonade w/ Ginger & Mint flavor and Blueberry.
The Arizona Prickly Pear Tea was something I picked up on vacation.
I still have yet to brew this one, but it smells like it will be pretty sweet.
In the blue tin, I have Jasmine Tea which I like to drink in the afternoons.
It tastes just like jasmine smells.
Is that weird? Maybe. But I really love jasmine in all forms.
Generally, I'm not a citrus person. I think I bought this citrus tea when I was sick,
 but have still never used it (and probably never will). It was one of those purchases.
My handmade tea box from Bariloche, Patagonia.

I love how colorful all of the tea sachets are!
Clockwise from left to right:
Apple Tea, Rosehip Tea, Herbal tea with Mint, Chamana Tea (verbena leaves, chamomile & clementines),
Sweet Flower Tea (chamomile, honey & vanilla), Blue Fruits Tea
My tea loves range from sweet vanilla & fruit flavors, to refreshing mint and calming chamomile.
I like berry teas for a "sweeter" afternoon treat, and
 I like to drink mint teas when my stomach is not feeling so well.
It really works!
Another berry tea.
I got this one from my mom.
It's by Harvey & Sons, and I think it's called "Happy Birthday" Tea?
It smells & tastes amazing.
And, finally, Mate Cocido.
My "go-to" tea.
I can drink this morning, noon, or night, but I especially like drinking it in the morning
because I feel it gives me that boost I need to start the day.

So, there you have it: my tea collection. Do you prefer coffee or tea? If you are a tea drinker, please share with me your favorite kinds of teas! I'd love to try them!

In addition to accumulating many different kinds of teas, I also have a small collection of teacups. I probably only have a handful, so I'm not sure that constitutes calling it a "collection" but I have every intention of making it into a collection!

Also, please let me know if you enjoy these kinds of "collection" posts, because I have many more that I could share with you!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)