Monday, March 24, 2014

The Garlic Cure...does it work?


I made it through my teenage years without ever getting a breakout. Pretty amazing. Although, I'm sure I didn't appreciate how lucky I was at the time. At around 20 or 21 years old, my face started breaking out. Nothing dramatic or even really noticeable to others, but it was bothersome to me. I thought I would grow out of it and that by 26 I certainly would not be dealing with breakouts still... but here we are today!

Now, I can handle the occasional (once-a-month) breakout, but for the past month and a half, my chin has been breaking out constantly. As soon as I take care of one "problem", another arises. No pun intended. For years I've used the Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion and Drying Cream, but after using those products for so long, my skin has become immune to them. Just the other day I remembered seeing something online about using garlic to clear up breakouts. So I decided to smash some garlic, slap it on my face and wait for a miracle to happen. What I was not expecting was for it to burn like a (*insert explicit language here*). I thought that I had read to keep it on overnight, (which I was never planning on doing because getting garlic juices on my pillowcase is not my remedy for sweet dreams) but I only kept it on a few minutes.

So, I went back to the trusty internet, and read that you are NOT supposed to leave the garlic smash on overnight because the juice could burn your skin. Well, at least now I know I wasn't hallucinating about that burning sensation. I do not think that using garlic to cure acne is for everyone, especially not for people with sensitive skin.

I checked out various different sources, all of which recommend to apply garlic to problem areas on the face for a short period of time (5-10 minutes) and then rinse off. Some sources recommend to mix the smashed garlic with a liquid to dilute it, while others say to just rub the whole clove of garlic on your skin. Each source seems to say something different, but all of these sources seem to be in agreement of the fact that garlic does help cure acne.

So....do I believe that garlic can cure breakouts?


Well, I have decided to go the route of smashing the garlic (using a garlic press) and applying that paste directly to my breakouts. I leave it on for 5 minutes and then rinse it off. I have been doing this for 3 days now and I have not had any new breakouts. As for my existing breakouts, they did not diminish in appearance after the first 2 applications. I only noticed that my blemishes were starting to dry up a lot.

My third application was last night and when I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, I noticed my face (specifically my chin) looked better than it has in about a month and half. My breakouts are almost completely gone! My plan is to continue the garlic treatments on a once-a-day basis for the next 2 days or until the breakouts disappear...whichever comes first.

I will report back back to you soon!


Have you ever heard of OR tried using garlic to clear breakouts?

Also, if you have any other miracle tips for clearing up breakouts please share them in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)