Saturday, May 3, 2014

Spicy & Smokey Black Beans


The other night Tomas and I decided to have a Mexican dinner night, so I whipped up a batch of fresh guacamole and attempted to make Black Bean Soup from The Pioneer Woman Cooks. I altered the recipe slightly and also let my "soup" thicken so much while it was cooking that it wasn't a soup anymore, just some thick black beans (this was part accidental, but I was pleased with the end result). Good for eating as a side dish with some rice or as a dip for chips. For dinner we ate them as a chip dip, and the next day we ate the leftovers for lunch with rice & fried fish. We felt like we were in Brazil...well, Tomas felt like he was in Brazil. I didn't feel like I was in Brazil because I've never been to Brazil (still on my travel list).

I made our black beans super spicy, which of course Tomas LOVED. For him, it's the spicier, the better. In addition to my generous use of cayenne pepper, I also added some of Suzanne's Gourmet Southwest Rub, which we bought when we were in Cave Creek, Arizona. On the bottle, it suggests to rub the spice mixture on meats, poultry, seafood, or sprinkle on vegetables before grilling or baking. It said nothing about adding to soups, but we thought that it would add a really nice, smokey & sweet flavor, which it did.

The next day when we ate the leftovers, I was surprised at how much the spice had dissipated. The beans seamed to be more flavorful, but much less spicy. I have no idea why that was, but I might have even enjoyed them more as leftovers.

I was thinking of other ways we could incorporate these black beans into meals, and I was thinking they would be great in a breakfast burrito, with scrambled eggs and cheese or a hearty vegetarian burrito with sweet potatoes and rice. YUM.


Ok, back to the original beans recipe:

Spicy & Smokey Black Beans
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman CooksBlack Bean Soup
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups (about 300 grams) dried black beans (Soaked overnight in cold water, or the day-of for several hours. I soaked mine the day-of for about 6 hours).
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed & chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed & chopped
- 1 medium onion or 1/2 of 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed through garlic press
- 3 cups chicken broth (I heated 3 cups of water on the stove with one chicken bouillon cube.
- 1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons Suzanne's Gourmet Southwest Rub (purchase here)
- < 1 teaspoon salt (You can use salt to your own personal liking, but whenever I cook, I prefer to use as little salt as possible).

Method:
-Add your dried black beans into a pot with cold water and let soak overnight, or you can soak them the day-of (like I did) for several hours. I soaked mine from 1pm to about 7pm, and then started cooking.
-Drain and rinse you beans, then return them back to the pot. Add your chicken stock, bell peppers, onion, and garlic to the pot and bring to a boil for a few minutes.
-Lower the heat on the stove, cover and let simmer for 1.5 hours. Check on your beans every once in a while to make sure they are not drying out. During this process I believe I added an extra splash of water.
-After simmering for 1.5 hours, add in your spices: cayenne pepper, Suzanne's Gourmet Southwest Rub, and salt. Let simmer for about another half hour. You can let it simmer for longer if you'd like, just make sure it doesn't dry out too much. 

The final result will be a thick, black bean mixture. You can serve as a side dish, as a dip, or as I mentioned above, incorporated into a burrito. This recipe is vegetarian, but you could also "beef it up" and add some chorizo or bacon to the beans for an even heartier version. 


How do you like to eat your black beans?

4 comments:

  1. I just love nachos!:) and the black beans look so good! I follow you on bloglovin♥

    www.Lorietta.cz


    Lorietta Bloglovin profile


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I already follow you on Bloglovin' :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. It seems delicious!!!
    kiss
    http://www.milanotime.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! If you like spicy food, you'll love these! xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)