Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sunday Dinner: Spaghetti & Homemade Chicken Meatballs


There's something so satisfying about eating pasta on a Sunday. Well, for me there's something so satisfying about eating pasta every day, but Sundays are extra special. ;-)

On Saturday, Tomas' grandfather gave him his old-fashioned, manual meat grinder so Tomas could practice making homemade hamburgers (more about that in a few weeks). As for me, I have been craving chicken and/or turkey meatballs for ages but they don't have them here. So, we took a couple of pieces of chicken, ground them up, and transformed them into some delicious chicken meatballs.  Paired with homemade sauce and fresh pasta, and it was the perfect Sunday dinner (that we ate at 3:30pm). Growing up, my family used to eat Sunday dinners at around this time as well. For me, it's easier to only to have to cook one meal, rather than two, making Sunday pasta dinner a win-win!

I didn't really take any measurements while I made the chicken meatballs, I just added the ingredients to my liking and they came out great! For now, I can share with you the ingredients that I used, and hopefully soon I will have an official recipe up for those, as well as my homemade sauce!




For the chicken meatballs we used about 2-3 thinly sliced chicken breasts. After putting them through the grinder, I added 1 egg, about a handful of chopped parsley, 2 chopped garlic cloves, "Long's Peak Pork Chop Spice" (available at Savory Spice Shop)  salt, black pepper, shredded parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Then, I fried them until they were golden on the outside, and plopped them into the sauce, and continued to cook them there for a few more minutes.

The final product looked something like this:



TAA-DAA!!!

Do you like chicken meatballs? Have you ever ground your own meat before? As time goes on, I find myself enjoying (more and more) to make things from scratch, and I really like the idea of being able to make my own freshly ground chicken. The only downfall is the cleaning of the contraption, which is kind of a pain, but I think it may be worth it!

27 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti and meatballs and the chicken ones sound amazing, delicious x

    http://www.thestylemma.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/looking-back.html
    Twitter: @thestylemma
    Instagram: @thestylemma
    Facebook: @thestylemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken meatballs are so delicious! You must try them!

      Delete
  2. I am a bad Italian. I have never made my own meatballs ever, but I plan to soon! Chicken meatballs sound interesting! When I worked in BA, I kinda picked up the Sunday evening pasta habit and I am proud to say I still prepare pasta every Sunday night. I kinda look forward to it every week.

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had my Sunday pasta dinner and this week turkey meatballs were on the menu! What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

      Delete
  3. We grew up having spaghetti and meatballs every other Sunday. Of course, back in the day, no one ever thought about chicken meatballs. The grinding is a good idea because the ground meat in the supermarket often contains things we don't want to think about. My mother's tomato sauce requires 3 to 4 hours of simmering, but, if you don't have the energy for that, the best meaty tomato sauce I've ever made is the one by The Pioneer Woman. The recipe is on her site and it is delicious. I haven't tried it without the ground meat, but I imagine just a plain tomato sauce with all the spices would be just as good. Perhaps, if Tomas is "good", he'll get an electric grinder for Christmas. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing better than a big pasta dinner on a Sunday! I decided to make chicken meatballs since I don't eat ground beef anymore. I also like turkey meatballs, but turkey is a little harder to come by in Buenos Aires. As for sauce, I make my own special sauce blend...it's spicy, but Tomas and I love a bit of a kick, so for us it's the perfect sauce.
      As for an electric grinder, I believe Tomas is planning on getting another grinder (if he hasn't already bought one since I've been gone)....we just wanted to try old-fashioned manual grinder first. Did you have your Sunday pasta today?

      Delete
  4. A me piacciono moltissimo le polpette, le tue devono essere speciali!!!

    WWW.ANGELICHIC.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved meatballs, but now since I don't eat ground beef I decided to make them with chicken. If you ever want to change things up a bit, try making your meatballs with chicken!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rach! I highly recommend the Sunday pasta dinner! What do you usually make on Sundays for dinner?

      Delete
  6. Looks tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    www.angeldelaflor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao, buon sabato sera e buona domenica!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you had a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  8. Vengo a trovarti nel tuo blog perchè è sempre pieno di cose interessanti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never had chicken meatballs, sounds like an interesting change. Grinding the meat sounds a bit gross though
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken meatballs are awesome! Especially if you don't like/eat ground beef (like me!) And I promise you, grinding the chicken is not as gross as it sounds!

      Delete
  10. This looks absolutely amazing!!! and yes pasta sounds so great for Sundays, extra yummy and filling perfect for just one meal for the day :) I just became a vegetarian but I would love to make the meatballs for my husband and just add extra veggies for myself! and wow you didn't use a recipe to make this! that is pretty awesome - my respects haha I'm not that great in the kitchen so I always admire the ones that are. Also I nominated you for some blogger awards in my blog! I just wanted to let you know I really enjoy visiting your blog and you deserve all these awards!

    XOXO

    Milu
    www.hellolupi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so yummy! I always look forward to Sunday pasta! I pretty much stopped eating red meat/ground beef about a year ago, but I still eat chicken, turkey and fish. I don't think I could cuts all meats out of my diet, but I do feel better after cutting out red meat/beef. What kind of dishes have you been making now that you are vegetarian? Found any good recipes online? I'm constantly pinning recipes on my Pinterest and then I make about 1/10 of them haha
      Thank you so much for the nomination, Milu! Going to check out your post now! Hope you had a wonderful weekend :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)