Monday, May 11, 2015

Chrystin's Sunday Fried Rice


Scenario: You're hungry. You want something simple yet filling. You don't want to spend too much money on ingredients.....

Look no further than fried rice.

It was around 2pm on a Sunday afternoon and I was at the bar lapping in the luxury of light and internet (we lost power at our apartment building, so I was forced to seek solace at work...on a Sunday.) I knew that if I didn't come up with a game plan for lunch fast, I would turn "hangry" and who knows what food decisions I would make (probably not very good ones).

The first thing that popped into my head? Fried rice. Recently, fried rice has been a go-to of mine. It's super easy to make, I usually already have most of the ingredients, and its satisfying! I've been making a few different variations, but the fried rice I made on this particular Sunday was the best I have made thus far!

Since I already had the rice, eggs, and a few of the other key ingredients at home, I only had to pick up a few things from the verduleria (vegetable stand) across the street. I was picking up the rest of my ingredients when I noticed this little plastic bag of green bean-like looking things in the refrigerator at the verduleria.


I asked the woman what they were, thinking they were some kind of bean, but as it turns out they were fresh peas! Beautiful, fresh peas.  I've never looked at peas before and thought, "Wow, I need those peas." Had I never seen fresh peas before? I can't remember, but these peas caught my eye and I knew they would bring some beautiful color and flavor to my fried rice. Probably the best decision I made all day (after the decision to make fried rice, of course).


With all my ingredients in hand, I headed home to cook by candlelight.

Want to know how I did it? Let's get down to business....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chrystin's Sunday Fried Rice

What you'll need:
-Rice (1-1.5 cups)
-Eggs (2)
-Red Bell Pepper (1 small pepper)
-Fresh Peas (a handful)
-Onion (half an onion)
-Garlic (2-3 cloves)
-Fresh Ginger (one small piece)
-Soy Sauce (a splash)
-Hoisin Sauce (a spoonful)
-Olive Oil (enough to coat your frying pan for all of your sautéing needs)
-Red Pepper Seeds (a few sprinkles, or to your liking)




How to make it:
-Fill a medium pot with water, add rice and place over high heat.
-While rice is cooking, chop one small red bell pepper, half an onion, two to three cloves of garlic, and one small piece of ginger.
-Coat a large frying pan with olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add in your chopped red pepper and onion. Sautee until peppers and onions are soft.Once peppers and onions are soft, remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
-Add a little more olive oil to frying pan (only if needed) and add your chopped garlic and ginger. Also add a sprinkle of red pepper seeds and saute until garlic starts to turn golden. (This should only take about a minute, so remember to keep a close eye on it and remove the garlic-ginger mixture from heat before it burns!) Add the cooked garlic and ginger to your bowl with red pepper and onion. 
-In a tiny pot, add just enough water to boil a handful of peas. (I used a very small pot, almost like a large metal cup). Using a small pot with very little water, the water will come to a boil almost instantly and the peas will cook in a few minutes. Once your peas are floating at the top of the water, remove them and set aside in a small bowl.
-Going back to your large frying pan, add a little more olive oil and fry up two eggs over-easy. Once eggs are cooked, remove eggs from pan and roughly chop them.
-The rice should be done cooking at this point...if it's not, don't rush it, make sure it is cooked before you turn off the heat...no one wants to eat undercooked rice!
-Using a straining spoon, start removing the rice from the pot and transferring it to the hot frying pan, making sure to stir the rice before adding more. 
-Once you have added all of your rice, add a splash of soy sauce and stir. You can use as much soy sauce as you'd like. I used just enough to coat all of my rice, without any excess liquid. 
-Add your bowl full of peppers, onions, garlic and ginger to the rice, along with your peas and chopped fried eggs. Stir.
-Finally, stir in a spoonful of hoisin sauce and continue to cook while stirring over low heat for a couple more minutes.
-Remove from heat and plate your delicious fried rice! Top off with a few sprinkles of red pepper seeds for an added kick! ENJOY!
(Serves 2, although I ate the whole thing by myself...whoops!)



So, do I have any takers?

14 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum, I love eating fried rice and am always interested in trying new recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try this recipe Mili! It's definitely a winner in my book!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. SO GOOD! I could eat it again now. Let me know if you try out the recipe! xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzy! Aren't those some of the most beautiful peas you have ever seen?!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, so yummy. I love love love fried rice. In fact, my brother just made some today but I'll try yours next. Do you ever eat in China town? I try to go to a China town for lunch any time I get an opportunity.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a big rice fan until recently...if I had to choose between a carb, rice or pasta, I used to always choose pasta, but now I like to eat a lot of rice because it's good for my stomach. I like making different variations so that I don't get sick of eating it. Let me know if you try out this recipe! I'd love to know how you like it and if you substitute in any different ingredients.
      We go to Barrio Chino de vez en cuando, but Barrio Chino is like the 16th stop on the D subway line, and we live around the 5th stop on the line so it's pretty far away. I do enjoy going food shopping there, as well as eating some good Chinese food. I find that when we eat Chinese food outside of Barrio Chino it's pretty terrible.

      Delete
  5. man oh man does this look TASTY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elle! A great dinner option when you don't know what to make!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rach! Just a little something I whipped up ;-)
      haha

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)